Welcome to the Fairview Rural Fire Department
To Listen to Wake County Fire Dispatch Live Click Below.
Essential firefighter functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Responds to fire alarms and extinguishes fire;
- Responds to calls for emergency medical services, and renders first aid;
- Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water and removing debris;
- Responds to and renders assistance in emergency cases;
- Cleans and inspects equipment and apparatus after returning from a fire;
- Inspects equipment and apparatus and notifies superior officer of any defects;
- Makes minor repairs to equipment and apparatus, performs routine preventative maintenance tasks, and keeps records of such action;
- Keeps fire station, equipment and grounds in a clean and orderly condition;
- Participates in training activities and instruction sessions;
- Acquires and retains a thorough knowledge of the district, including streets, buildings, water supply, unusual hazards and related items;
- Performs various public information or education tasks;
- Enters inspection, training and (on occasion) fire and emergency medical service calls into the records management systems;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows county-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the Department's Safety Handbook.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May respond to emergency calls for specialized service such as hazardous materials, confined spaces rescue, extrication and technical rescues that include high angle, below grade, swift water, trench and collapse rescues;
- May respond to non-emergency calls for infant car seat installations, africanized bee complaints, fire prevention demos, etc.;
- Deals with social service related areas of emergency response by assisting victims and relatives of victims of traumatic events.