Established in 1963 as the Ten Ten Fire Department of Fairview Community. Founder Gene Ogburn was also known as the person who brought foam machine to help extinguish 1964 fire in Bryan Building at Cameron Village. Incorporated later as Fairview Rural Fire Department, Inc.
In 1963, the first fire station (a two-bay brick building) was constructed at 4501 Ten Ten Road) on land provided by Fairview Community Center. The first fire truck was an early 1950's weapons carrier purchased from federal surplus. Placed in service as Engine #1, the unit was modified by Marvin Powell, Gerald Atkins Sr., and Craven Langston at William Powell's. Two Ford taillights were mounted on the hood as emergency lights. Paint was donated by Sander's Motor Company and Wade Cummings painted the apparatus in a chicken house. K&L built the 450 gallon tank. The pump was 80 GPM, petroleum-fueled.
Throughout the years, firefighters funded, and often built, several their own fire trucks using apparatus from State surplus and other sources.
In 1982, Fairview became first rural fire department in Wake County to offer EMS First Responder service. The first call was answered the following Wednesday night for a two-car accident at the intersection of Ten Ten and Holly Springs roads. The department was chosen by Wake County as part of a pilot program due to its location between four rescue districts (Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, and Garner). Members completed a 45-hour course that certified them as "first responders" who could respond to health-related emergencies, and render aid until emergency medical technicians arrive.
In 1990, a second fire station was completed at 7401 Ten Ten Road.
Today, after more than 50 years, Fairview firefighters continue the tradition of service to the community with a combined career and volunteer officers and staff. Fairview operates at an EMT level for medical response, and most personnel hold various State and National fire and medical certifications.